Founded in 1995, Starting Points for Children, Inc. (herein after Starting Points) is a not-for-profit corporation that prepares professional workers for our nation’s expanding early childhood education and other workplace needs so that children are provided with high quality, developmentally appropriate care in safe, nurturing environments and employers are provided with motivated, ethical workers. All Starting Points programs share a commitment to improve professional standards in early childhood education for the sake of children, early childhood educators and families.
- Starting Points became a designated Welfare-to-Work “Training Provider” program. In 2000, Starting Points expanded its programs to include preparation for the nationally recognized Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential. In keeping with the Mission and Vision of the school this enabled students to increase their employability and wage earnings. All programs of Starting Points share a commitment to improving professional standards in early childhood education for the sake of both children and early childhood educators and families.
- At this same time, Starting Points designed pre-kindergarten and full-day kindergarten classrooms as well as trained their early childhood education professions in newly designed New Jersey Abbott/ECPA public school districts.
- Starting Points, through an invitation of the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development designed and implemented the State’s curricula for the newly crafted Federal credential the Child Development Specialist. This pilot program for teacher aides already working in early childhood education settings enabled them to upgrade their professional skills to enhance their job career ladder choices.
- Starting Points became a member of the American Council on Education’s (ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service. This enables students to receive ACE college-credits for successfully completed courses.
- Starting Points established its private vocational school: Institute for Early Childhood Educators. Starting Points’ Institute for Early Childhood Educators garnered approval as a licensed, private vocational school from the New Jersey Department of Education and the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
- Starting Points received a three year grant of national accreditation by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET). ACCET is a United States Department of Education recognized accrediting agency and maintains certification as an ISO-9001 Certified Quality Management System by Bureau Veritas Quality International (BVQI).
- Starting Points for Children, Inc. changed its registered name with the State of New Jersey to Starting Points, Inc.
Since inception, Starting Points has earned an excellent reputation among numerous educational institutions. It is also well known in the educational and professional community for preparing students with the latest ‘best practices’ methodology enabling graduates to effectively apply what they have learned to the classroom setting.