Home
Ariel Vargas Graduation Speech

Ariel Vargas Graduation Speech

Ariel Vargas Graduation Speech

Good evening fellow students and family members.
This is my story.
I was working in sales with no real direction. I was lost and things were hard.
I decided I needed to find something that was just for myself. Something full-time that would pay me enough money to live better than I was doing. Coming into childcare was really by accident. I needed full-time work and I wanted to get more employability skills.
When I started at Mile Square Day Care in Hoboken in their aftercare program, I found out quickly that I would need professional development and credentialing to be hired full-time. That’s when I enrolled in Starting Points.
My original desire was to take care of myself. Then as I started taking the classes at Starting Points I realized that what I was doing was really child focused. I no longer put myself first. I realized it was all about the children, not about me.
What became clear was that children’s feelings come first. The more I learned the more my ability grew to engage with the children. They wanted to be with me, to play and sing with me. Now I see that this is my career. I found out that 3 year olds are really smart and I can learn from them.
After passing the CDA test and getting my CDA credential I was able to get hired full-time which gave me new confidence in myself. This was a huge achievement.